Ibiza Airport (IBZ)
History, Facts and Overview
(Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain)
Previously the Es Codolá military airfield, which was founded during the late 1930s, Ibiza Airport began serving international air traffic at the end of the 1940s, connecting many of Spain's islands and making it ideal for American stopovers. However, in just two years the airport had closed due to increasing costs, only to be expanded and renovated in the mid-1950s, and finally reopened in 1958, when Ibiza's Es Codolá Airport featured popular flights to Barcelona.
During the 1960s, the runway was improved and large aircraft were able to use Ibiza Airport. Passenger numbers began to rise as Ibiza was recognised as a world-class holiday resort and expansions of the terminal, airstrip and car park were necessary in both the 1970s and 1980s. More recently at Ibiza Airport, in 2002, the check-in facilities were modernised and soon after, a new area for rental cars was added.
Ibiza Airport (IBZ) is equipped with adequate facilities for a small air hub, including ATMs, currency exchange and a bank. Passengers are provided with a selection of shopping, including the large duty-free store of Aldeasa, the Ibiza Blau gift shop, and local Spanish delicacies at the Productos Gastronómicos.
Popular places to eat include the Illy Café, the Medas Beer bar, and a cake shop. Additional amenities at Ibiza Airport include postal facilities, a lost property office, a first-aid room, an abundance of travel agencies and tour operators, and a large conference hall facility with a capacity for 80 people.